How to use a water distiller to make distilled water
Written by William Fryer - MA Oxon
Find out how to use the Megahome Water Distiller to make distilled water at home
This video explains how to set up and use the Megahome water distiller:
This video tells you how to troubleshoot any problems you might have:
How To Use A Water Distiller (and how it works)
- Fill the water distiller with regular tap water and turn it on. Watch the video above for user instructions.
- The distiller boils the water, killing viruses, fungal spores and bacteria and converts it to steam.
- Converting the water to steam leaves the majority of the unwanted pollutants behind as a residue.
- The steam is then captured in a special stainless steel coil where it cools back to liquid water.
- The water travels through an activated charcoal filter which removes volatile organic compounds.
- The water distiller turns itself off when the process is complete after 5 – 6 hours.
- Your tap water is free of 99.9% of all impurities.
How To Make Distilled Water?
Fill the Megahome Water Distiller with tap water to the fill line and turn it on. There is an isolator switch next to the electric plug and there is a reset button on the front which starts the distillation cycle. The water distiller then boils the water, killing all bugs and converting the water to steam which is caught in in a stainless steel coil where it cools back to liquid. This water then travels through an activated charcoal filter, further removing contaminants, leaving your water free of 99.9% of impurities.
This is the most efficient and effective way to make distilled water. The Megahome Water Distiller is simply left on to work its magic and after 5-6 hours will turn itself off automatically, so it is safe to leave on during the day or overnight. You will then be left with 4 litres of distilled water which is the purest drinking water available The distiller automatically leave a small amount of liquid in the bottom to avoid boiling dry. Once distillation is complete, clean your water distiller. Not sure how? Read our guide on cleaning water distiller here.